Humans have a very acute sense of smell, and this sense is strongly linked to our emotions and memories. Some scents fill us with joy and warmth, while others make us feel disgusted and repulsed. This is why we’re drawn to things with lovely scents, and why we choose to wear certain fragrances. Picking fragrances that suit your style can be a breeze – especially if you’re aware of your specific preferences.
Unfortunately, when you have sensitive skin, finding a lovely perfume that won’t irritate your skin can be a challenge. This is why some manufacturers produce hypoallergenic scents, which are designed to reduce the risk of an allergy attack. Below, we’ll dive into how to choose the right one for you and which brands are the best available.
Be aware that these perfumes aren’t non-allergenic and don’t promise to prevent all allergic reactions. However, hypoallergenic perfumes contain few, if any, chemicals and synthetic fragrances that tend to irritate sensitive skin and noses. Many are made of natural or organic ingredients, but be sure to look at the ingredient list carefully. Some contain ingredients like rose, almond, and honey which are common allergens, so be on the lookout for which products best fit your needs and lifestyle.
There are many hypoallergenic fragrances available to choose from. It can be difficult to find the right one, especially if you are shopping online. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you find the right one.
Know what you’re looking for
You know you want a hypoallergenic fragrance, but what kind of scent are you looking for? There are four main scent categories: floral, fresh, spice, and woody, but many scents combine types together. Floral is the most common scent, including rose, violet, jasmine, and berries. Fresh scents have both citrus notes like lemon and aromatic ones like lavender and rosemary. Spice perfumes smell warm and smoky like vanilla, warm spices, and leather, while woody scents are associated with nature and include cedar and dry wood.
Check the ingredients
Many hypoallergenic scents are made of natural and organic ingredients. As we mentioned before, be sure to check the list of ingredients before purchasing a fragrance–hypoallergenic does not mean non-allergenic for everyone. If you know what specifically triggers your allergic reactions, be sure to avoid perfumes that contain them. If you’re unsure about what irritates your skin, speak to a dermatologist or an allergy specialist to determine what you’re allergic to.
Buy a trial size
If the store has one available, buy a trial size of your chosen perfume. This way, you can test it out before committing to a full-size bottle. Spray or rub the fragrance on a small patch of skin and monitor for an allergic reaction.
When shopping online, it’s important to read reviews from previous customers. Since you can’t smell it before you buy, this will give you an idea of what the fragrance is like and what other people liked about it. You can also learn how strong the scent is and how long it lasts, both factors which are important in choosing the right scent for you.
Our top picks
Here are our top three favorite hypoallergenic perfumes available on the market:
- Garden Botanika Heart Eau De Parfum: This fragrance is a blend of gardenias, jasmine, roses, cedar, orange, and cardamom. It is also vegan and free of parabens, phthalates, and gluten. https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Botanika-Heart-Parfum-Fluid/dp/B001KYQBUI/
- Jasmine Bloom: This hypoallergenic, jasmine-scented perfume is made by Zoha. It is made with organic essential oils, certified vegan, and does not contain alcohol, artificial colors, parabens, or phthalates. https://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Bloom-Perfume-Zoha-Fragrances/dp/B00IJJZTQE/
- Pacifica Beauty: This brand has tons of different hypoallergenic scents available, including Tuscan Blood Orange, French Lilac, and Sugared Amber Dreams. All of their fragrances are made of natural, essential oils and do not contain any harsh chemicals. https://www.amazon.com/Pacifica-Beauty-Tuscan-Orange-Perfume/dp/B000UWH3SU/
If you have an allergic reaction to a specific perfume, schedule an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause. They may recommend that you visit an allergy specialist or a dermatologist to figure out what is triggering your allergies. They may also be able to suggest some hypoallergenic perfumes and beauty supplies that you can try out. If your reaction serious or you have difficulty breathing, go to the emergency room as soon as possible.
Fragrance and skincare go hand in hand when you suffer from allergies. Luckily, there are hypoallergenic fragrances available that reduce your risk of having an allergic reaction. Using the tips above and exploring our top brands, you can easily find your new signature fragrance.
- The best light natural perfumes under $50 perfect for summer
- Pamper your pout: How to get your lips summer ready
- 7 great shaving cream substitutes you can use in a pinch
- How to find the right natural and organic perfumes for you
- Are nut butters easy to digest?